Bundoran Lifeboat Soapbox Race
Statement from Bundoran Lifeboat Soapbox Race Committee
It is with deep regret that the organising committee of the Bundoran Lifeboat Soapbox Race has taken the decision to cancel this Sunday’s re-scheduled event at Astoria Road. This has not been done lightly and was taken following an examination of several weather forecasts for the weekend; all of which point to rain on Sunday afternoon. Following the recent poor weather which hit the North West and the damage it inflicted, the committee feel it would be unwise to go-ahead with the event which is so dependent on a good forecast for its success. The safety and comfort of the volunteers, participants and spectators is of paramount importance.
The Bundoran Lifeboat Soapbox Race is a major fundraiser for the RNLI and to run it to the professional standard required, involves the securing of materials and services at a cost. The cancellation of the event at very short notice incurs a financial loss for the event as well as huge amount of disappointment to the participants.
With all of this in mind the Committee have taken the difficult but necessary decision not reschedule the event for this year.
The Committee would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused at this point and again to assure everyone involved that this decision was not taken lightly.
Thank you for your continued support of Bundoran RNLI.
The 6th Annual Bundoran Lifeboat Soapbox Race - run by and in aid of the local volunteer RNLI crew - happens on 27th August with a fun family atmosphere in Bundoran, County Donegal
At least 30 teams are expected to take part on the day guaranteeing plenty of thrills and spills.
The day will also include the €1000 ball race - buy your ball in advance and if it's the first one through our funnel, €1000 will be yours!
- The event takes place on Sunday 1st June 2014 at Astoria Road, Bundoran from 1pm-4pm
- Soapbox racing is dangerous. There is a risk of serious injury to all people taking part.
- Everyone takes part at their own risk, and when you sign up to take part you agree to accept these risks.
- The entry fee is €40 per vehicle for the event. Your entry will not be confirmed until the full payment has been received on the day of the race.
- The fee MUST be paid before you will be allowed to race.
- A separate entry form is required for each vehicle you wish to enter.
- You will be racing against other vehicles, and you must be comfortable driving your vehicle at speed. Your vehicle must be stable at speed and will need good brakes and steering. (see technical specification for details)
- The construction specifications and vehicle inspections do not constitute a warranty of safety. You are solely responsible for the safe construction and operation of your vehicle.
- You should ensure that your vehicle is fully tested before you come to the event
- The event organisers will acquire third party liability cover for the event. This will not cover loss, damage or injury to competitors, nor does it provide liability cover for the competitors themselves. Competitors are strongly advised to take out their own individual cover if this is a concern.
- The event organisers do not anticipate any need to change the published rules and procedures for the event and will not change them without good reason. Nevertheless, they reserve the right to do so if necessary and will endeavour to give all teams as much notice of any rule changes as possible.
- All proceeds for the day will go to Bundoran RNLI Lifeboat.