Downpatrick & County Down Railway
From 1985 to the present day, DCDR has grown from a small band of determined enthusiasts working in a field, to become the only full-sized mainline heritage railway anywhere in Ireland.
There’s plenty to see and do on your visit to our railway.
It’s not just a ten-minute train trip – you can happily spend an afternoon exploring everything around our stations and museum.
|Inch Abbey Arr:||13:10||13:55||14:40||15:25||16:10|
|Inch Abbey Dep:||13:20||14:05||14:50||15:35||16:20|
Your journey will last approximately 10 minutes each direction.
You can alight at Inch Abbey Station to walk to the Abbey, or enjoy the buffet carriage – or stay on board and have as many return journeys as you like.
our visit will typically take 2 hours to experience everything at the railway, but you can stay until the doors close if you want.
There’s plenty to see and do around the railway during your visit, make sure you see everything!
Our museum and carriage gallery are open as usual, our new signal cabin can be viewed from the platform, and the model railway layout and shop are open as well.
You can stay at the railway as long as you like up to the end of the day.
Last admissions are at 3:45pm for the 4pm departure.
This event is running on Saturdays and Sundays before Christmas
There is an absolute maximum of six passengers per booking to reduce crowding.
On the day
- On arrival you will be welcomed by our volunteers at our Downpatrick station
- You will receive a Christmas cookie and a drink to enjoy on the journey (both adults and children)
- Santa’s helpers will help to get you all on board the train before departure
- The event will last approximately 45 minutes, including train ride to Inch Abbey and back, with entertainment from Santa, Mrs Claus and the Elves
- Entertainment will include an interactive magic display and other fun and games
- Santa will visit you at your seat
- Children will receive a age appropriate present – providing they’ve managed to keep themselves off Santa’s naughty list!
Please note: in the event of steam engines not being available, a vintage diesel locomotive or railcar may substitute. This does not make the day any less fun!