Slieve Bloom May Walking Festival
25th Slieve Bloom Annual Walking Festival Weekend | May 03th - May 05th 2010
The Slieve Bloom Walking Festival takes place in spring every year as the bluebells come into full bloom and the hills are alive with birdsong.
This year the Slieve Bloom Walking Club celebrates it’s 25th year with a wide variety of walks. The festival offers a choice of woodland walks, riverside and gentle rolling hills with experienced walk leaders who will enhance your hike with stories of local history, geology and fauna.
In addition to the looped hikes from Clonaslee and Kinnitty some extra special walks take place this year.
These include family friendly walks with Alpachas, a photo walk with the award winning photographer Paul Moore and for the more experienced walker who doesn’t mind getting their feet wet a Geological Odyssey in the Silver River with John Feehan.
Having enjoyed the bonhomie of your fellow walkers during the day in the evenings enjoy entertainment in the local pubs and the festival BBQ in Kinnitty on Sunday afternoon.
All are welcome. Festival Weekend walks €20 (includes annual membership) or €8.00 per walk.
Choose from pleasant and easy woodland walks to more challenging hikes through wilderness areas in the beautiful Slieve Bloom Mountains.
Choice of walks on
Saturday, 3rd May, Festival Registration in Kinnitty Community Centre, Co Offaly.
- Grade C, Knockbarron Eco Walk 5k 1.5 hrs. Walk led by John Scully
Sunday, 4th May, Festival Registration at Community Centre Clonaslee, Co Laois at 10:15am.
- Grade A, 10:45am Two Rivers/Glendineoregan 10k 4 hrs. Walk led by Martin Broughan.
- Grade B, 10:30am Brittas Lake/Clonaslee Woodland 12k 4 hrs. Walk led by John Scully
- Grade B, 11:00am Glenkeen, 10k 4-5 hrs. Walk led by Richard Jack
- Grade C, 10:45am Alpacas Brittas Lake (Family Walk) 4k 2hrs. Walk led by Hushabye Farm.
- Grade C, 10:45am Photography Walk/Stoneyman 5k 2hrs. Walk led by Paul Moore
€20 walking registration for the weekend, daily walks €8